- 1967 (incorporated in 1970)
- Incorporated in the state of MaryLand
- Provide a forum for the food industry
- Encourage applied research
- Assist with food industry education
- Provide opportunities for professional development
- $45 per year
- Journal of Food Distribution Research
- Annual Meeting
- Student Food Marketing Challenge
- International Study Tour
BY THE NUMBERS:
- 4 Elected Officers
- 6 Elected Directors
- 8 Vice Presidents
- 3 Editors
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS:
- 1960 – Educators, researchers, and food industry executives began meeting to discuss food distribution research.
- 1967 – Food Distribution Research Society, Inc. is formed. Dr. Theodore W. Leed is elected its first president.
- 1968 – The first annual meeting of FDRS after its incorporation is held in College Park, MD.
- 1969 – The refereed Journal of Food Distribution Research is first published.
- 1978 – The first Applebaum Scholastic Award is presented to Eric Moede.
- 1978 – The first international meeting of FDRS is held in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- 1987 – FDRS begins to award two Applebaum Scholastic Awards, one each at the Masters and Doctoral levels.
- 1996 – The first Frank Panyko Award for distinguished service is presented to Jarvis Cain.
- 1996 – The first Presidential Award for Emerging Leadership is presented to Rodolfo Nayga, Jr.
- 1997 – The first Presidential Award for Excellence in Research and Communication is presented to Patrick Byrne and Oral Capps, Jr.
- 1999 – FDRS extends the Applebaum Scholastic Award to include a third award for non-thesis scholarly works.
- 2000 – The first FDRS student Case Study Competition is held at the Annual Meeting.
- 2001 – The first FDRS sponsored international study tour takes place in Western Europe.